Austin Karaoke News Forum Index Austin Karaoke News
Keep Up with Austin's Exciting Karaoke Scene!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
This site is made possible by our Sponsors.   CLICK HERE to meet our Website Sponsors!
Checkout Central Texas Karaoke Listings by Professional Karaoke Entertainers - Click Here

Honorable Goals--Fun For All In Attendence

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Austin Karaoke News Forum Index -> KJ Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RJ and Associates
Karaoke Entertainment Professional

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:40 pm    Post subject: Honorable Goals--Fun For All In Attendence Reply with quote

In 1991 when I started this company I set out certain goals that I wanted to accomplish. The hardest thing a new karaoke venue must do is to attract people who like to sing. Unfortunately the companies with whom I contracted wanted singers fast which meant using things like contests to bring in participants. With contests came over inflated egos and an unhealthy mentality engendered through competition that "I can do it best". This is at best that person's opinion which unfortunately is usually shared by friends and family but is not of itself, fact. It is unfortunate in that they regard it as a fact rather than an opinion. The real questions are: How did it effect the whole audience, was the singer happy with what was accomplished and did he learn something he will try to improve next time, if he wants to improve? No one needs under any circumstances to be torn down or publicly humiliated!!!

Song is an outwardly expressed inner emotion as the singer feels and tries to express, share with us; not compete with others. I have always desired to make our's a show which would feature each singer positively, letting him know that he was a welcome integral part of a composite form of entertainment by those not trained or professional. This would allow his satisfaction gained through his own efforts. I really have a deep respect for those who go out of their way to find something positive to compliment on each person's efforts and a number of you do just that! Thank you!!!

To be a KJ means that you are under constant criticism. We try very hard not to reflect that back. If we treat those performing with dignity even when we know this one about to sing irritates the thunder out of us, why not give the same latitude to fellow performers so all can gain pleasure from the show? Quoting from the Disney classic "Bambi", how was it that Thumper responded from his mom's rebuff? "If you can't say nothin' good; then don't say nothin' at all"! Same thing goes with unkind words or misunderstood gestures! New ones or for whatever reason unconfident ones just know that they are going to "screw up" frequently misinterpret hand signals from the audience members as a nasty critique of their performance. Recently some in the audience were trying to let the KJ know that they felt the music was too loud but the singer thought it was their signal to her that the performance was lousy; yet it was not meant for her at all. She had done well!

Let's do all we can to make the show a fun place where all can feel good afterward.

Last week in review:

Tuesday at the "Tank" was busy and fun! Delores won the last bar/dining tab to be offered at this Austin location. "Water Tank, TOO" will continue offering the tab with the exception that it can be won only once per month by the same singer.

Wednesday continues busy at "Water Tank, TOO" in Pflugerville. Charli was the official winner for $125.

Amazingly, Thursday was pretty busy at the "Canary Roost" for a holiday!

Friday at the "Tank" started slow but picked up around 10 PM

Saturday was kinda slow at the "Tank" singer-wise but had a nice listening crowd!

Tks, rj

If you need more info on one of the clubs mentioned, schedules, addresses or check our song list, just go to our web site: www.karaokebyrjandassociates.com

Visit us Online at:
http://www.KaraokeByRJandAssociates.com

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Austin Karaoke News Forum Index -> KJ Announcements All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: