Austin Karaoke News Forum Index Austin Karaoke News
Keep Up with Austin's Exciting Karaoke Scene!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
This site is made possible by our Sponsors.   CLICK HERE to meet our Website Sponsors!
Checkout Central Texas Karaoke Listings by Professional Karaoke Entertainers - Click Here

Karaoke by RJ's Water Tank Contest - Weeks 1 thru 8

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Austin Karaoke News Forum Index -> KJ Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RJ and Associates
Karaoke Entertainment Professional

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:20 am    Post subject: Karaoke by RJ's Water Tank Contest - Weeks 1 thru 8 Reply with quote

Week 1 of 8

Very Happy What a great bunch of singers for the first preliminary week! I was greatful that I was not in the contest! From the sixth place to first place there was only a 7.7 points difference in score which means that any of these top six could have won with a small improvement in only one or two of the five catagories for which they were judged. That is the key on which each of you should focus. Go to my website www.KaraokeByRJandAssociates.com and consider the five (5) aspects the judges watch for in each of your performances.

Registration for each contest begins at 7:30 pm and is no longer open once the contest starts,ie, you must have registered before the KJ announces the beginning. We will try to begin the contest at 9:30 pm but as late as 10:15 pm, if we don't have the maximum (12) singers filled. Check for more details at my website listed above.

THE WINNERS FOR WEEK #1

1ST PLACE IS KIM J.
2ND PLACE IS WAYNO H.
3RD PLACE IS MICHAEL W.

Hope to see you at The Water Tank 7:30 pm on Tuesday's contest! rj

Visit us Online at:
http://www.KaraokeByRJandAssociates.com

Last edited by RJ and Associates on Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:43 am; edited 2 times in total
RJ and Associates

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Week 2 of 8

Tuesday night was another tough competition! We only had 10 competitors but they really did great jobs.

Remember that all of us have our special nights where everything just comes together-contestants are judged on 5 different aspects of each performance and sharp singers try to get the most points from each aspect. Another smart thing to do is to take advantage of our other shows to get comfortable with our equipment, songs, stage and lighting.

For example: Don't hold our mikes wrong,ie, singing over the top or side of, cover the wind screen with your fingers-this destroys the mike's dynamics plus it may start a ringing the KJ cannot correct without bringing your volume so low it will hurt your performance. If you want to go out into the audience, ask for the cordless mike. Remember that you still have 6 weeks left to qualify; so don't quit until you have given it your best shot. Because of the smoking ban there is much better opportunity to sing often at all of our shows even on Fridays and especially Saturdays. So come often and practice, practice, practice. Get comfortable with your song or find another you do better. Feel good that you have the courage to do this and many just wish they had the courage to try. You are a winner just being in the contest and will be stronger for your valiant effort.

I am proud of the whole group of competitors. Hope to see you strut your stuff. rj

Preliminary Contest Winners-Week 2

1st Place Nick K.

2nd Place Joe V.

3rd Place Cathie S.

Visit us Online at:

RJ and Associates

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Week 3 of 8

What an outstanding group of singers competed this past Tuesday! Just a 4.5 points difference between first and second place winners. Divide that by three judges and that is less than 1.2 points difference per judge's opinions. Third and fourth place tied. This was a strong race that anyone would have found themselves proud to be a part.

One thing concerned me, though. We had only eight out of a possible twelve contestants. Hopefully in my praise of them, I have not "tooted these fine singers' horns" too loudly, inspiring fear! Never forget that on any given night anyone may put it all together and win. You will never know unless you put forth the effort. Besides that you are challenging yourself which is good for your character. A person who can get up in front of strangers and sing is courageous. If you can accept that challenge, then you can get up in front of a large group and give a successful talk. Come on give this thing a try, making yourself stronger. You could put $300.00 in your pocket for the effort.

Preliminary Contest Winners-Week 3

1st Place Courtney W.

2nd Place Cathie S.

3rd Place Wayne H.

Heartiest congratulations! This means that Courtney and Cathie are now qualified for THE GRAND FANALE' and all Wayne needs is a third place to shoot for the $300.00 1st prize!

Visit us Online at:

RJ and Associates

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Week 4 of 8

Wow! Half of the preliminaries are done and we have had some outstanding talent at every single contest. Two of our third place winners won first place in later contests which shows what I have said all along,"don't give up-some nights we just do better than other nights". The biggest trick is getting comfortable with letting out to play that "little kid", who is in everyone of us! Sure they may be allowing room for their "little kid", too, however, that is why you need to use these next four weeks preciously!

This past week we again did not fill the 12 maximum contestants even though we waited until 10pm before starting. We start filling out the log in sheet at 7:30pm and will wait 'till 10pm before closing the log. Just be sure that you are there by the 10pm start.

Week 4 winners of positions 1-3

1st place Trista

2nd place Michael W.

3rd place Robin P.

Incidentally, There was only a two point spred between 1st and third positions from three judges combined scores. Contestants are learning to use their overall performance instead of just their vocal qualities. Come on out and give this thing a real shot. Come out on the other two nights at the Tank to practice so that you will be comfortable with the song and my equipment, stage, etc. It will be good for you and it will be good for us. rj

Visit us Online at:

RJ and Associates

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Week 5 of 8

When running a karaoke contest I always have the fear that it could take away a lot of the joy people find doing karaoke in a club. We live in a world that is full of pressure which generates anxiety; yet karaoke allows creative expression that helps relieve pent-up stress which is one of the reasons we feel so good after an evening of singing. Essentially we have let "the little kid" out to play. If you are letting your creative part out, allow it to be natural and free so that nothing distracts from its pleasure. Remember that your scores are determined by three selected individuals who are in essence expressing their opinion of your performance. These are opinions which are effected by their personal life experience; they are not scientific fact. You do not want to base your future performances on opinions of others but always consider all of the evidence, including, especially, your own personal life experience. In my 14 years going on 15 years experience as a KJ I have seen singers that, in the beginning, have tortured the souls of the audience, yet, now have become very adept singers quite capable of performing independently in public! So never let a contest determine your prowess as a singer, rather let it help you from what you learn.

This week's contest is another tough one. No one should feel bad about their performance last night at the Tank! There was barely one point difference between 1st and 3rd place which shows how good the performances were and how important you use all aspects of your performance for the judges.

There are only three contests left to qualify for the Grand Finale'!
Use every opportunity to experience my songs, equipment and stage in order to do your best in the contests. We had a full maximum of 12 contests so come early, come every Tuesday, Friday and Saturday for the experience. Regardless, have fun with karaoke.

Week 4 winners of positions 1-3:

1st place Sarah

2nd place Ali

3rd place Joe V.

tks rj

P.S.
Our new songlist books will be ready by Tuesday. Lots of new songs!

Checkout our Online Songbook at:
http://www.karaokebyrjandassociates.com/songbook/home.html

Visit us Online at:

RJ and Associates

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Week 6 of 8

Many thanks for the ones who responded on my request for judges. I may as well need some help on these upcoming last two weeks of preliminary contests. And many thanks to the contestants who really entertained us this last Tuesday.

Only two weeks left to qualify before The Grand Finale' contest shows us who gets the money--$300.00!!! Go to our web site: www.karaokebyrjandassociates.com to get more details. I cannot express enough that you need to come to my shows and practice, practice, practice with our mikes, our stage, our songs,lighting etc so you are as at home as you can be.

If any of you did not get the update of songs of songs sent last week, it was because I did not zip the files. Sorry. Please email me at rdy0247@aol.com and i will send you the update in zipped format.

Congratulations! to the winners who are:

1st place Rudy

2nd place Ali

3rd place Robin

tks, rj

Visit us Online at:

RJ and Associates

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Week 7 of 8

My gosh!!! Another outstanding qualifying round for The Finale' at the Water Tank yesterday night! The contestants just keep coming up with new approaches to their performances which is garnering lots of extra points. It is really interesting to see the ones who keep coming back weekly to try again but use new twists, improving their performances. Our 1st place winner this week did not place in her effort last week! This makes several good points. Sometimes it is the right song, some times it is the properly constructed effort to enhance performance, sometimes it is the determination or attitude. Just having a great voice is not what makes one a winner in this contest. When it is your turn the stage and audience is yours, use them to your advantage! Know your song and know your equipment.

We filled the maximum of 12 contestants before 9:30 PM last night; so I would recommend to those coming to next week's final round, that you come early to sign up. At the same time you can get some free food and drink specials all night long at the Water Tank's holiday season customer appreciation held that same Tuesday night. Starts at 5 PM with food buffet available 'till 7 PM.

Congratulations! to the winners who are:

1st place Leah E.

2nd place Robin

3rd place Daniel

tks, rj

Visit us Online at:

RJ and Associates

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Week 8 of 8

Whew! The qualifying rounds for the THE GRANDE FINALE' are done! Next Tuesday karaoke will open at 7:30 P.M. but qualified contestants should not arrive late, rather be there early to practice. Do not arrive at 9:30 P.M., expecting to be in the lineup. This is the BIG DAY which will determine who walks away with the cash! Anyone who participated will tell you that the thirteen who qualified are an outstanding group of singers who sang very well and worked on all five points for which they were judged on their overall performance. A beautiful voice is not enough as it was during the radio era; this is also a visual era. These singers did not depend on a sound engineer to keep the correct volume, etc, but exercised proper mike technique adjustment on their own. As they practiced during the weeks before the contests I saw them improve each performance. The KJ is just a robot during the contest. If you did not tell him what you wanted before you started,i.e., extra echo, you were responsible-no overs except KJ errors!

Come on out and support these qualified GRAND FINALE' contestants: KIM J., NICK K., COURTNEY W., TRISTA, SARAH, RUDY, LEAH, DANIEL, MICHAEL W., ALI, ROBIN, WAYNE H. Every one of them deserve it. Congratulations!!!

One final note of thanks to all of you who participated in the qualifying contests and special thanks to the varied judges who freely gave of their time greatly assisting me which really took a load off of my shoulders.

While The Water Tank will be open Christmas Eve', our show will not. We will be doing our shows as normal the following week, including a boisterous New Years Eve'. Congratulations! to this weeks winners who are:

1st place Daniel

2nd place Quincy

3rd place Kevin C.

tks, rj

Visit us Online at:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Austin Karaoke News Forum Index -> KJ Announcements All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: